Sunday 20 January 2008

Martin Laursen Signs

Martin Laursen Signs New Contract




This was better than a new signing for me.

With Olly Mellberg seemingly destined for pastures new, it was vital we kept Laursen especially as we're finally seeing what he's capable of now - at both ends of the field. Any goalscoring centre-half is worth his weight but when he's a great defender anyway he has to be held onto!

I remember one of his rare appearances last season away at Watford - he was immense and won everything in the air. He's always had the talent and now, touching lots of wood, the injuries are behind him, we'll see a top-class talent in the Villa back line.

Hopefully there will be more goals from set-plays on Monday night at Anfield. Thanks to Sultana Sports it was not only moved from Saturday but now I won't even see it on TV. I'll never subscribe to that station, ever.

Kevin Keegan Signs New Contract




I've got nothing against Newcastle personally.

Any team, Chairman and manager trying to break the monotony of the "big 4" is fine by me. I think, like everyone else the tag of "best and most loyal fans" is the thing that really grates with people.

I've been to St James Park for a top-flight League game with 20,000 people there so lets just explode the myth shall we? Newcastle are a big-supported club now - not a big club. The difference couldn't be any wider as they've won nothing.

I happen to think they've gone backwards by appointing Keegan. They clearly wanted others and couldn't get them so they turned to the next best thing that will keep the Geordies happy. Much like Graham Taylor at Villa, I think Keegan will find working with these prima-donna footballers this time around alot harder.

I do hope though that they make some progress to the top four, but obviously behind Aston Villa. A front four of Man U, Arsenal, Villa and Newcastle will be fine by me.

No comments: