Monday 8 December 2008

K/Boxing Grading

How Long Is A Black Belt Kickboxing Grading?

Just a shade over three hours in this case.

I was expecting hell so anything less than that would be a bonus. It was good to be grading with people we knew and had trained with for ages - plus the examiners - though fearsome in their suits - were all familiar to us all too.

Everything was there and it was so tough physically. We all had moments where we were either sick or totally gasping for breath but everyone battled away and did what they had to do.

So much of the grading is mentally based - about 90 mins or so in we were sparring and maybe knew the "2 onto 1" section was coming up where we expected to spar everyone else in survival mode. No! In walk 3 fresh full-contact fighters ready to whip our knackered sorry butts!! That was harsh!

It's easy to forget things you've been taught when you're cornered and taking shots from two angles. I ended up covering up too much but moved about reasonably well apart from that. I was happy with the wood-breaking at the end and fortunately broke first time with an elbow strike and a spinning back kick.

As I sit here now I'm in much-expected pain all over. My knee was worrying me but it ended up being a hip bone which gave me the most problems - it started getting really painful just 2 hours before the grading when shopping in Tesco - Oh great, thanks alot body!

Anyway, everyone did so well and it was a real good team effort with everyone encouraging and helping when others needed it. Well done to all concerned! Mr Champion said at the end that we'd all worked very hard and it had been a pleasure to grade us - great words for us from someone such as himself!

My main goal was not to let myself down and more importantly Mr Paradine and Mr Carter. I've trained hard all year but in the last six weeks I've been down the GMAX gym every Wednesday night for extra work which I know helped me during the grading. I'm going to relax now for a few days and get back into it next Saturday.

Now, much like the Taekwondo black belt grading, we sit and await our news - it could be a long wait.....


Daniel's Rapid Progress

At 3 years and 7 months, his progress is pretty amazing.

His level of speech is unbelievable at times - whilst eating tea the other night he was after some of my food and had forgotten to say please. I said "what's the magic word?" to which he replied - "Abracadabra". Couldn't really refuse could I?!

Daniel is still enjoying training on a Saturday at the club and continues to do well under Kate's watchful eye! He doesn't realise that it's an English champion training him (after Kate beat Louise Tanner in their re-match last weekend). Anyway, he got his first first official GMA t-shirt the other week which he doesn't like taking off!



We got his school application form this week (how's that for making you feel old?) - another reminder of his progress. Now Christmas is approaching and he's aware of Santa, Advent calendars and all things festive!


Everton 2 Aston Villa 3

I walk in, I'm knackered after three hours of torture - but it's 1-1 and I've got the whole second half to watch.

Ashley capitalises on a defensive howler and we're looking good but for the last 15 minutes we're under the cosh and taking a battering. I still thought we'd hold out but with 40 seconds left Lescott bangs one in after Martin Laursen missed probably his only header of the game. I'm gutted, I just cast believe we've done this again!

Lescott feigns throwing his shirt towards the Villa fans and their players spend the next 45 seconds celebrating for which the referee rightly adds on time. Daniel asks me "whats wrong Daddy" as I'm holding head in hands!

Some seconds later were jumping around the room as Laursen wins another decisive header and Ashley beats a defender and whips in a winner. Mass celebration! Daniel shouts "It's a goal!!"

Lescott isn't offering his shirt to anyone anymore now and wonders off the pitch - such a shame. A fantastic ending and three points in a game where overall we've been under pressure - that's the way to do it!

No comments: